Wednesday, January 16, 2013

of chocolates and phones..

Too many definitions for life, huh? There's a lot to say about life and while it is commonly thought of when you're at your happiest or lowest point, life definitions can also hit you on some idle Wednesday..

Today, I think life is..


..a box of chocolates..you'll never know what you're gonna get --if there's no label on it.. :p

*****


My friend Nikola lost her phone today at their office (i presume since she mentioned that one OM reported the incident). It wasn't the first time that this happened to her at the same office. And she's not the only one who experienced that. 

I felt bad that this had to happen..again. Despite the very tight security measures there, people still lose their phones. Sometimes, you can't help but blame the culture in there. A culture with a lot of trust issues. In the company I'm with right now, it's completely the opposite. I have left my phone at my desk a few times and when it hits me, I freak out and I fear that when I get back, it's gone..but it's not. And when i look around, I can see a lot of desks, with valuables out in the open that a thief could call it "buffet". However, nothing gets stolen. Too good to be true? Well, i thought so too at first but I've witnessed and experienced it and it made me realize that this is actually possible. 

One time when I left my phone, I told one of the associates "I'm really surprised to see my phone is still where I left it. In my previous company, just two seconds you take your eyes out of your phone at your desk, it's gone."

The associate responded, "Oh, that's sad. I've been here for two years already and no one ever had to worry about valuables being taken. People here got used to not touching things that are not theirs without permission. If things are left (ballpoint pens to a laptops), it always goes to Lost and Found department."

I guess this should always be the case. You don't have to put seven million security guards to ensure nothing gets lost. There will always be things that would be lost but if it's found, it should go back to the rightful owner. Sometimes, a mass reverse psychology about this would (might) work. 

With the previous companies, outlook takeover is rampant. Forget to lock you pc and you're done for. Email blasts about you treating everyone for pizza or professing you love the most peculiar person in the office is sure to happen. I have NEVER experienced it at my new office. There was a time when I saw a fellow trainer's pc unlocked and the outlook is there, as if telling me to send one funny email blast for fun. But I decided not to. I don't want to bring in bad culture there.

While most companies have INTEGRITY printed on their hallways and employee manuals, this company is living it.

:)


No comments: