Tuesday, January 22, 2013

..and it was all purple [Part 2]

after our hearty lunch, Niko and Ian had to leave to meet Niko's mom but Niko promised she'll catch up with us after we watch a movie. As we were waiting for our bill, the master of all green jokes and pervert phrases, Gerald, arrived. He didn't get to join us for lunch so he requested for his favorite popcorn, Kettlecorn, instead. I know it was in danger of being consumed even before we get to sit inside the cinema, and well, I was wrong, but, hello, he already had 3/4 of the large pack of popcorn.

We first decided to watch Life of Pi however it was in 3D and most of us don't want to spend much. After a few minutes of deliberation, we ALL agreed to watch Les Miserables instead. Gerald bought the drinks for everyone. This act is already in the process of being submitted to the Vatican to be officially announced as a miracle.

We still had 30 mins before the show starts so Gerald suggested that we stroll. All (girls) obliged by going to all shoe shops in our way. There were no complaints from the boys. Not a single one. This act is also now being processed to become an official miracle.

We came across a lingerie store and Gerald was tempted to check the place. But he did not. This act ...made me think that Gerald had been abducted by aliens on his way to Galleria and was replaced by an impostor from planet Saturn or Neptune.

10 mins before the show, we went back to the cinemas to get our drinks from the snack counter. While Gerald and I waited for the others, a few highschool girls (in off-shoulder tops and shorts) passed by and Gerald gave them a lingering look with matching evil smirk. (Now I think the alien impostor is back on its mothership).

Les Miserables.

To anyone who had experienced Les Mis (as a high school project:musical, book review, thesis), it is an epic story that should be given the utmost attention. For those who love it, you would be too excited that you'd forget to empty your bladder first as it is going to be a long movie and it's not like in live theater where there's a break. I'm guilty. The moment I sat inside the cinema, I knew I would not get out until it's over.

But I had second thoughts.

Not because the movie was bad. Oh no, it's not. The reason I had thoughts of getting out was because Gerald had made his usual remarks on things. And the show started..

Gerald: Ai, ano ba 'to? kakanta sila? concert pala 'to eh..sabi sa labas, movie..
Me: Eh derived nga sa musical di ba?
Gerald: Sana pala nag-One More Try na lang tayo..

Look Down part
Gerald: weh, impossibleng makakanta kayo nang ganyan kabigat hinihila nyo..
(then he goes to eat popcorn..and eventually fell asleep)

Few more songs and everyone was so quiet. When one number was over, Gerald applauded it with his "very discreet" snore. So discreet that I'm sure the whole cinema shook. And it happened not just once, not twice, oh, not thrice, but hell, four times! But he would try to make it up by saying comments like "in fairness, it's nice naman pala" or "ganda ni anne jan ha" .He would laugh at parts were people would laugh without bothering to know why. Then he'd go back to sleep and snore. I was always at the edge of my seat, ready to leave if people would start throwing things at Gerald. Good thing they didn't.

I still enjoyed the movie though I would still prefer to watch it live on stage. I miss the belting out parts of Fantine but Anne still delivered it very well. The movie gave so much visual wonders that you would not see on stage.

When Eponine had her moment, my heart stopped. Bey reminded me not to sing along. I did my best. I got teary-eyed, as I always do on this part. Who wouldn't? Eponine was like my teenage avatar, she's a representation of all teenagers who felt miserable. I have always connected with her emotions, not necessarily her situation, from reading her from Victor Hugo's book 'til she was brought to life by a lot of actresses on stage.

And of course, even though I'm not French, a sense of patriotism always comes out whenever I hear Do You Hear The People Sing. In this movie, it was soooo moving that I almost cried and I have to remind myself not to stand up and join the barricade.

Do you hear the people sing
Singing the song of angry men?
It is the music of the people who will not be slaves again.
When the beating of your heart 
Echoes the beating of the drums
There is a life about to start when tomorrow comes.



..to be continued




No comments: